As an indie author, properly formatting and editing your manuscript should be your highest priority.
To do this properly in formatting your manuscript as an eBook or print book using Microsoft Word, the following tips will be of great help to you. This will enable you to professionally format your manuscript to acceptable standard of major eBook publishing and distribution platforms like Amazon Kindle Direct, Smashwords and Google books.
eBook Formatting Tips
Once your book is well written and properly formatted, you will surely get good feedback from readers in the form of sales and positive reviews.
- Save the manuscript in Microsoft word as a .doc document (Save As 1997-2003).
- Properly edit and proof read, as well as removing all tab and spacebar spaces. To do this, ON the Show/Hide MS word feature to guide you.
- Create and use custom styles to format the front and end matter of your book.
- You can directly apply Bold, Italics, and Underline where necessary.
- Create the working Table Of Content using the Bookmarking method which converts well in both Smashwords and Amazon KDP Direct unlike inserting table of content through Reference menu which is not acceptable in Smashwords.
- Simulate the eBook with your smart phone device to have a feel of it. If you are convinced it is great, congrats.
- Login to your platform account and follow through the procedures to publish it.
- Spread the news of your book being live on your published platforms.
- Start implementing your planned promotional strategies.
Good luck, you can now start working on your next book too.
You May also Like